Women's Hair Loss & Most Appropriate Treatment

In a normal hair growth cycle for women, about 90% of all hair in Anagen Phase which takes between 4-6 years. The other 10% is in Telogen Phase, those hairs will begin to fall out after 2-3 months of Telogen and new hair start to grow from the same follicle. Most female have approximately 100,000 hairs, so, shedding up to 50 -100 hairs a day is considered normal.

About one-third of women experience hair loss at some time in their lives. As we age, the hair re-growth process may slow or stop, and thinning or baldness areas may occur. Among postmenopausal women, as many as two-thirds suffer hair thinning or bald spots. Anyway, 10-15% of all hair in Telogen is normal. If that proportion increases by 5% in favour of the Telogen hair, that means the hair loss is becoming pathological. In the case of a 10% increase, it is considered to be strongly pathological.

First, Diagnose Normal and Abnormal Hair Loss

Do not shampoo hair 24 hours before test.
Grasp small clump about 60 hairs in index by middle and thumb, pull hairs gently but with firm pressure. Normally less than three hairs come out and if more than 10 hairs or approximately 10% of pulled hairs come out, the pull test is considered positive.

Symptom 1 : Diffuse Hair Loss

Usually begins about age 30, becomes noticeable around age 40, and may be even more noticeable after menopause.
About 15% of women have such hair loss, around 30% of affected Caucasian females are affected before menopause.

Diffuse Alopecia For Female

Diagnosis (1). Chronic Telogen Effluvium - The Most Common Type

Approximately 30% of menstruating women are affected. The degree of shedding is usually severe in the early stages and the hair may come out in handfuls then gradual. It usually causes overall hair thinning and not bald patches.

Diagnosis (2). Androgenetic Alopecia - The Second Common Type

A reasonable estimate is 20% of women prior to menopause and up to 40% after that. The appearance with women experiencing general thinning of hair and it seem to look similar to Chronic TE. If you have any traumatic life experience, such as surgery, stress, etc, it is likely to be Chronic TE. The best method is to get official blood tests to diagnosis.

Symptom 2 : Sudden, A Lot Of Hairs Fall Out From Your Scalp

You'll notice more hair than usual accumulating on your pillowcase. However, your scalp and the remaining hair look healthy.

Sudden, A Lot Of Hairs Fall Out From Your Scalp

Diagnosis (1). Acute Telogen Effluvium

The active shedding lasts 1-4 months, the bitemporal areas may be most obviously thinned and it isn't necessarily symmetrical.

Diagnosis (2). Alopecia Areata

AA starts as a smooth bald patch that suddenly appears, hair falls out in small, round patches about the size of a quarter. It is thought to be an autoimmune disease and not contagious.

Diagnosis (3). Anagen Effluvium

The two most common causes of AE occur from cancer chemotherapy and radiation therapy. It is a diffuse hair fall like Acute TE but it develops much more quickly and extensive of hair fall is most often seen in people, occasionally appeared alopecia areata.

Symptom 3 : Hair Loss With Unhealthy Scalp

Alopecia With Unhealthy Scalp

Diagnosis (1). Folliculitis Alopecia

Severe folliculitis can cause permanent hair fall and scarring. It is characterised by redness and swelling and pustules around the hair follicle. It may be pain-free but the hair follicles itch like crazy.

Diagnosis (2). Traction Alopecia

Over time, certain hairstyles and hair extensions can traumatize follicles and lead to permanent bald spots in the scalp, a condition known as Traction Alopecia. A common, early sign is the formation of tiny bumps or even scabs on the scalp.

9 Main Causes Of Hair Loss In Women

Ludwig Scale For Diagnosis Of Hair Loss In Women

Compare For 10 Popular Products

12 Common Medicines For Women

Top 5 Best Seller Hair Loss Shampoos

8 Lifestyle Changes To Prevent Female Hair Loss

8 Hair Care Tips To Prevent Hair Fall

Recommend Simple And Quick Surgery For Female - Hairline Lowering Surgery

The balding patterns in women are different from those of men. With the aging process, many women complain of a high forehead, long forehead, or a high hairline. A normal female hairline is typically positioned 5 to 6.5cm above the brows and usually begins at some point where the scalp slopes from a more horizontal position to a vertical one. A high hairline is accentuated giving women a balding or masculine appearance, hairline lowering surgery is best suited for it.